ABTIN SHAHRIARI, DMD, MPH
Dr. Abtin, as his patients know him, is a highly skilled board-certified oral maxillofacial surgeon, having completed a combined eight years of specialty training at some of America’s top institutions, including an Ivy League degree from the University of Pennsylvania and residency training at Emory University, where he was mentored by some of the countries best known surgeons. He has performed thousands of surgeries, from outpatient procedures performing facial and oral implants, facial cosmetics and rejuvenation, corrective jaw surgery, and pathology, to extremely complex facial reconstructions and high-risk trauma cases in the area’s Level 1 trauma centers.
Dr. Abtin is an actively practicing surgeon, lecturer, author, and medical broadcaster. He has been featured in various media such as NBC, the Atlantan, and the Marietta Daily Journal, for his contributions to the medical and dental fields. His achievements are numerous and include publishing in national and international medical journals and textbooks.
The Greater Atlanta Oral Facial surgery center is equipped with state-of- the-art technology, and offers a comfortable and friendly environment for patients. Using three-dimensional virtual reality surgical planning, the latest safety equipment, and strict safety protocols, GAOFS is one of the premier oral facial surgery offices in the area. Patients can be confident knowing they are receiving the safest, top quality care in one of the most advanced and best-equipped surgical facilities in the Greater Atlanta area.
One of the core philosophies to Dr. Abtin’s practice is that patient’s concerns will always be heard and that no patient should ever feel like they are not a part of their own treatment planning process. He genuinely cares for his patients, and spends most of his consultation time listening to their concerns. His philosophy is treating patients as though they are one’s own family members. He makes certain his staff operates the same principles he values when it comes to care.
Dr. Abtin is an active philanthropist and often volunteers his skills internationally, performing surgeries treating children with cleft lip and palate through his nonprofit organization Project Global Smile. Project Global Smile (P.G.S) is a mission initiated by Dr. Abtin specifically intended to benefit children in underprivileged regions of the world. Prior to P.G.S, Dr. Abtin volunteered his medical skills in Songea, Tanzania and worked with the CDC on polio eradication in Bihar, India. At GAOFS, patients encounter not only one of the best surgeons in one of the area’s best equipped offices, they encounter a doctor who has heartfelt compassion and caring for his patients. Dr. Abtin is never satisfied until he knows he has given his patients the best care.
- Emory University School of Medicine Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study July 2004 – May 2008 Atlanta, Georgia
- University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine D.M.D. – August 2000 – May 2004 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business Wharton Management Program (WMP) Candidate- 2002-2004 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Pending completion.
- Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University M.P.H. in Epidemiology and International Health August 1995 – May 1997 Atlanta, Georgia
- Emory University- College of Arts and Sciences B.S. in Biology August 1991-May 1995 Atlanta, Georgia
- Atlanta North Fulton High School Magnet Program May 1990
- A. SHAHRIARI, S. Bagheri, A. Slaughter, R.A. Bays, R.J. Fonseca. “Factors Contributing to Anxiety Prior to Dento-alveolar Surgery.” Pending publication
- SHAHROKH C. BAGHERI, MATT DIMASSI, ABTIN SHAHRIARI, H. ALI KHAN, CHRIS JO, MARTIN B. STEED. Facial Trauma Coverage Among Level-1 Trauma Centers of the United States. Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Vol. 66, Issue 5, May 2008
- VANINDER S. CHHABRA, MD, ABTIN SHAHRIARI, DMD, MPH, JEREMY CIPOREN, MD, MARTIN STEED, DDS, ODETTE HARRIS, MD, MPh. “Propofol Infusion Syndrome in the Traumatic Head Injury Patient. Case report and literature review”. Accepted for Publication in Critical Neurosurgery 2008.
- Tracee A. Treadwell, Ryan A. Maddox, Robert C. Holman, Ermias D. Belay, Abtin Shahriari, Marsha S. Anderson, Jennifer Burns, Mary P. Glode´ , Richard E. Hoffman, Lawrence B. Schonberger. Investigation of Kawasaki Syndrome Risk Factors In Colorado. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, Vol. 21, No. 10, Oct. 2002.
- BELAY D. E, BRESEE S. J, HOLMAN C. R, KHAN S. A, SHAHRIARI A, SHONBERGER L. Recent Trends and Epidemiologic Characteristics of Reye Syndrome Patients in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine, May, 1999.
- HOLMAN C. R, SHAHRIARI A, EFFLER V. P, BELAY D. E, SCHONBERGER L. Kawasaki Syndrome hospitalizations among Children in Hawaii and Connecticut. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. Volume 154, No. 8 August 2000.
- TIGGES S, PITTS S, MUKUNDAN S, MORRISON D, OLSON M, SHAHRIARI A. External validation of the OTTAWA knee rules. American Journal of Roentgenology, 1999.
- GONDI G, ROBERSON JR, GANEY TM, SHAHRIARI A, HUTTON WC. Impingement after total hip arthroplasty related to prosthetic component selection and range of motion. Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association. 6(4); 266-72, 1997 Winter.
- BRANCH TP, BURDETTE H, SHAHRIARI A, CARTER II FM, AND HUTTON W. The role of the acromioclavicular ligaments and the effect of distal clavicle resection. The American Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 24, No. 3, 1996.
- BELAY D. E., HOLMAN C. R, SHAHRIARI A., CLARKE J. M., DESTEFANO F., DAVIS L. R., RHODES H. P., SCHONBERGER B. L. The Epidemiology of Kawasaki Syndrome in Four West Coast Health Maintenance Organization. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal- September 2000, Volume 19, Issue 9.
- SHAHRIARI A, SULLIVAN KM, HOUSTON R, SOLOMONS N, IM, GROSS R, SCHULTINK W, SALAMATULLAH Q, MAY W, MABERLY G. Comparison of different indicators of iodine deficiency in school children in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Guatemala, and Atlanta. Thesis- School of Public Health, 1997.
Dr. Abtin is currently under going research for “Comparison of quantitative results from different methods in bone regeneration on a Cleft Palate patient using BMP, Autogenous hip graft with and without PRGF and stem cells from Wisdom teeth”.
- Shahriari, A. Bagheri S. Osteoradionecrosis of theMandible. In Clinical Review of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Bagheri, Jo editors, Elsevier 2007.
- Shahriari, A. Bagheri S. Buccal Space Abscess. In Clinical Review of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Bagheri, Jo editors, Elsevier 2007.
The highly trained team at Greater Atlanta Oral Facial Surgery is dedicated to making your visit as comfortable as possible. From knowledgeable administrative staff, to caring and compassionate hygienists and assistants, we strive to provide an exceptional experience.
Dental Implant Placement
Jan 1, 2017